Private Sightseeing and Shopping Tour in St. Thomas
Take in the most spectacular views on St. Thomas and enjoy access to some of the island's best shopping, drinks, and experiences with a private tour on an open air Safari bus. A Safari bus tour is a favorite choice of visitors to the Virgin Islands, and your sightseeing and shopping tour will offer an array of sights, sounds, and splendors, including stops at some of the world’s most stunning viewpoints and shopping in Charlotte Amalie on Main Street and at the Shops at Yacht Haven Grande.
Your tour will include breathtaking views of Charlotte Amalie harbor, St. Thomas’ beaches, mountain landscapes, and historical architecture, and the surrounding islands. You will experience the best of St. Thomas including dazzling views of Charlotte Amalie, Magens Bay, and St. John, the world famous banana daiquiri at Mountain Top, and a rest at historic Drake’s Seat. And, of course, you will get convenient transportation and access to St. Thomas’ world-renowned shopping, including duty free shops and boutiques for great buys on jewelry, fine china and crystal, perfume, art, clothing, accessories, and more. Book now for an unforgettable sightseeing and shopping experience!
Duration: 4.5 hours
Maximum Passengers: 17
Cost: $355 (for up to 10 passengers) / $33 for each additional passenger
- Enjoy the best sights and shopping on St. Thomas
- Experience stunning views from the island’s best vista points
- Shop at Main Street and the Shops at Yacht Haven Grande in Charlotte Amalie
- Enjoy access to world famous local food and drinks
- Private transportation on the ever-popular open air Safari bus
- Ideal for families, private groups, and parties
- Get personalized, private service with flexible drop-offs and pickups
- Service available for hotel and vacation rental guests, local residents, and passengers from the following cruise lines: Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, Disney, Cunard, and MSC.
Before You Book
- Tours must be booked at least 24 hours in advance of departure time
- Please note that all availability is listed in the local, Atlantic Standard Time, and is not considered the same as “Cruise Ship Time”.
- Route and options subject to change based on local weather and accessibility
- Local shopping hours are typically 9am-5pm Monday through Saturday, and Sunday hours are until around 1pm.
- NOTE: On Sundays, some stores may be closed if no cruise ships are in port, while others may stay open later if multiple cruise ships are docked.
- Flexible scheduling for cruise ship passengers when passengers notify the tour operator at least 24 hours in advance. Tour contact details provided with your booking confirmation email.
Departure point: Flexible (contact the tour provider after you receive your confirmation)
Departure time: Based on your selected start time.
Duration: 4.5 hours
Return details: Same as departure point.
Your sightseeing tour begins with Blackbeard’s Overlook, also known as Pilgrim Terrace, offering a spectacular pirate’s eye view of the Charlotte Amalie bay from a vantage point attributed to the pirates who once occupied St. Thomas. Your view also includes Blackbeard’s Castle, a watchtower built in 1679 and now one of five National Historic Landmarks in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
World Famous Mountain Top
Your journey continues onward to the world famous Mountain Top, the oldest and highest attraction on St. Thomas, located at the top of St. Peter Mountain. Mountain Top offers dazzling and awe-inspiring views of Magens Bay below and numerous surrounding islands, making it one of the best vista points on St. Thomas. And no experience at Mountain Top is complete without a world famous banana daiquiri, the signature drink that has been served to more than 7 million visitors from around the globe!
The next stop is Drake’s Seat, with another spectacular view of Magens Bay, the surrounding mountains, and the nearby British Virgin Islands. It’s a perfect place to stop, rest, and sit in the famous seat built in the days when traveling to this fabulous view meant traveling by horse or foot. Legend has it that British privateer Sir Francis Drake may have used this hilltop vantage point to spy incoming enemy ships.
And, as your tour takes you to the East End of St. Thomas and Skyline Drive, you will arrive at Beacon Point, where you can experience a terrific view of St. John and other neighboring islands from the observatory platform. Sample a virgin banana daiquiri or pour your own rum, adding as much as you want before the mixer. You can also visit the gift shop and enjoy a snack. Please note that although it is rare, Beacon Point is closed on days when no major cruise ship docks on the island.
Finally, as your tour returns, you can enjoy a passing view of St. Thomas’ new solar farm, where Caribbean sunshine is now being converted into renewable energy to help keep the island green for generations to come.
Main Street, Charlotte Amalie
Better known as Main Street, Dronningens Gade is the principal location for shopping, restaurants, and bars in St. Thomas. Stores line Main Street and the parallel Waterfront, while side streets and alleys offer additional, unique shopping experiences. In the Main Street area, you will find a plethora of shops and boutiques for everything from beautiful, handmade jewelry and crafts to fine china, crystal, artwork, clothing, and more. But Main Street is best known for its many jewelry stores, where visitors can find some of the best buys and negotiate some of the best deals in the Caribbean.
Shops at Yacht Haven Grande, Charlotte Amalie
The Shops at Yacht Haven Grande, located along the beautiful Charlotte Amalie harbor, are known as the premier shopping and dining destination on St. Thomas. The Shops specialize in high style and fashion, including exclusive collections of jewelry and clothing for men, women, and children from top brands such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Bvlgari, BCBG, White House Black Market and more. Shopping at Yacht Haven Grande is also a great place to find beachwear, accessories, watches, and even fashion and clothing for your pets. Top off your waterside shopping experience with a hot coffee at the local coffee shop or a visit to one of three restaurants and bars known for providing some of the best food and drinks locally.
Shopping Hours and Duty Free Details
Charlotte Amalie shopping hours are typically 9am to 5pm Monday through Saturday, including holidays, and Sunday hours are usually a half day with closing times at around 1pm local time. However, if there are no cruise ships in port, some stores may be closed on Sundays, while others may stay open later if several ships are in port. Duty free shopping is available with an allowance of up to $1,600 and additional provisions for U.S. residents returning to the mainland. U.S. shoppers who are 21 years of age or older are also allowed to take back five cases of cigarettes, and those 21 or older can also take back five liters of liquor if at least one liter was produced in the Virgin Islands. Ask your tour driver or staff at local shops for more details on duty free shopping.
- Full-service transportation in an open-air Safari bus
- Private tour with a professional driver
- Sightseeing tour with stops at four viewpoints
- Two shopping stops at Main Street and the Shops at Yacht Haven Grande
- Timed itinerary or options for flexible drop-offs and pick-ups
- Food, drinks, shopping costs, and gratuities not included
Tours must be booked at least 24 hours in advance of departure time
Service available for hotel and vacation rental guests, local residents, and passengers from the following cruise lines: Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, Disney, Cunard, and MSC.
At least 24 hours in advance